Old September 11th 03, 08:32 AM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Kent,
I am up in Mount Prospect; if you want to come down and
audition one of the current units, that would be ok. I still have to work
out the details for a high level AGC loop, and I am also working on a low
noise synthesizer for the next generation, but feel free to shout me down
when you are coming to town. Hey, have you ever made it to the Madison
DXer's gathering? One of the fellows has moved to Milwaukee, so the next
gathering will be in that town. This last one was pretty good, although I
didn't make it. They did have some well known folks up there, such as Gerry
Dexter, Neil Katsiros, etc.

Pete

Kent wrote in message
Willing to sell one of the "Current": units??

Also, you say you are in Chicago. What side of town? I get to Chicago on

weekly basis.

Kent Winrich, K9EZ
Menomonee Falls, WI

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
news
I was thinking about using 1kHz tuning; this way, the radio would be

more
universal. No need to worry about 9 or 10kHz steps if this is done.

With
my current units, you can connect an untuned 6 foot loop directly to the

the
50 Ohm antenna input, and the results are pretty dramatic. From my

location
in the Chicago area, I can receive WLW, on 700kHz, with an S8 signal

level.
WJR, on 760kHz, comes in at about an S7, while on 610kHz, I can receive
Kansas City Missouri, and the Ohil station fighting each other, at an S7
signal level. If I want to listen to MW, I don't even bother using my
AOR7030, Palstar R30, Icom R75, or Yaesu
FRG100...........................none of them is as hot.
Radioman390 wrote in message
I would prefer a table radio like a Tivoli or old KLH21

Ceratinly some DRM capability, or a place to add a plug-in card which

could be
either DRM, C-QUAM stereo, or the digital AM (IBOC or Kahn?).

Depending on how the digital standard goes, at least the RF could be

constant.

10/9 khz tuning (US vs Euro)

Noise blanker

Before I implement a noise blanker, I want to develop a NB design that I
have been slowly working on..............this would be a Quadrature

type.
The advantage to this type is that it would have dynamically variable
blanking width, with a null of right around 50dB. Still working on that

one

An input for a loop antenna

An input with DC phantom power for an outdoor active antenna

Maybe an antenna switch to switch between lop and other antenna, or

two
loops.

Good tone controls

Perhaps something like the old Scott DYNAURAL circuit which shaped the

flatness
of the audio depending on signal strength, or something like

Worcester's
AM
circuit which made the IF passband narrower as the signal strength

decreased.

Good speaker!

Amen!

Pete