Old September 12th 03, 07:46 PM
Michael Black

Mike Maghakian ) writes:
I have some radios that I would like to use a different knob on but
the shaft is usually about a 1/4 inch too short. does anyone have a
reliable method of extending a shaft a short amount and maintain
stability and strength ?

You get a shaft coupler. It's a piece of thick-walled tubing with
holes drilled and threaded. Put one end over an existing shaft, and
then tighten the screw that goes in the threaded hole. Then you
put another shaft at the other end, and likewise secure it.

I have no idea where to get them nowadays, though there must
be plenty floating around in junk boxes.

Your problem, though, might be wether you can fit one into whatever
radio you need it. Assuming this is a fairly recent model, there may
not be enough space to get the shaft coupler in, since it is wider in
diamater than the existing shaft.

Michael