Old September 13th 03, 05:03 AM
Frank Dresser

"Mike Maghakian" wrote in message
om...
I have some radios that I would like to use a different knob on but
the shaft is usually about a 1/4 inch too short. does anyone have a
reliable method of extending a shaft a short amount and maintain
stability and strength ?

1/4 inch longer is real tough, especially if you want to slip the knob down
over the extender and on to the original shaft. I haven't done this, but I
might try extending it out with a 1/4 inch OD piece of tubing attached with
a screw through the tubing's center, threaded into a hole drilled and tapped
into the original control's shaft.

The biggest problem would be making a square, concentric hole in the
original control's shaft. A 1/4 inch ID sleeve could be placed over the
original control's shaft, and a 1/4 inch OD tap drill bushing, could be
place through the sleeve on top of the original shaft. The sleeve would
hold the original shaft and the tap drill bushing concentric and square.
This probably could be done well with makeshift parts, although I'd try a
few times on some scrap before I'd have any confidence on the real thing.

Or you could try and find some knobs with 3/8 inch ID holes. Put a 3/8 inch
OD sleeve on your original control shaft, and you're done.

Frank Dresser