Old September 13th 03, 09:10 PM
Don Forsling

"King Pineapple" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Jason" wrote in message
Hello all

For a long time I have been interested in Shortwave listening, and I
have noticed on the internet that Digital radio is becoming more
prevalent. Before I go out and invest some money on a quality reciever,
is it safe to assume it is a hobby I can enjoy for years to come, or
will Shortwave be replaced in 5 years by more modern technology?

Shortwave has been "dying" ever since I got started in the hobby. That was
when John F. Kennedy was President-remember him?

Yes it has and yes I do. The truth of your point simply points up the truth
of the contention you're arguing against. In turns of international
broadcasting nations and transmitters on the air and listeners using
shortwave, SW has deminished each and every year since Kennedy was
president. And, I suppose that within the next year, yet another nation or
two will announce that they're discontinuing international broadcasting via
shortwave. So ask yourself this: "Are there as many stations on the air
now for as many hours as when I started in the hobby?" Your answer will be
"no." It's "no" because, yes, shortwave _is_ dying. I take no
satisfaction in this, but the facts are the facts and they are indisputable.
Don Forsling

"Iowa--Gateway to Those Big Rectangular States"