Old September 14th 03, 04:57 AM
Clint

well put....

if, by a numbers station, are you referring to that
oriental woman that would continuously read off
a series of 4 numbers, pause, and continue...
over and over? I never knew what that was, but
it sure fed conspiracy theories for a long time.

Clint
KB5ZHT

If you sympathize with terrorists & middle eastern tyrants,
vote for liberals...

--

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Don Forsling" wrote in message

Yes it has and yes I do. The truth of your point simply points up the

truth
of the contention you're arguing against. In turns of international
broadcasting nations and transmitters on the air and listeners using
shortwave, SW has deminished each and every year since Kennedy was
president. And, I suppose that within the next year, yet another nation

or
two will announce that they're discontinuing international broadcasting

via
shortwave. So ask yourself this: "Are there as many stations on the

air
now for as many hours as when I started in the hobby?" Your answer will

be
"no." It's "no" because, yes, shortwave _is_ dying. I take no
satisfaction in this, but the facts are the facts and they are

indisputable.

Don Forsling

"Iowa--Gateway to Those Big Rectangular States"

Even if international broadcasting disappeared entirely, there would still
be shortwave radio.

There's less co-channel and adjacent channel interference, the Soviet
woodpecker is gone and the US domestic SW broadcasters are far more
entertaining than the BBC or Radio Moscow.

There's still hams, military, avaition and nautical communications. Still
some utililties, too. Never been more pirates. I can't go more than a

few
days without stumbling across a numbers station.

As far as I'm concerned, shortwave radio has never been better.

Frank Dresser