Old September 14th 03, 05:55 AM
Beloved Leader

Jason wrote in message ...
Hello all

I have an opportunity to buy a Realistic DX-392 from a friend. I have
read some reviews on the net, and most say they are adequate for the
price. Do any of you own one, and if so, how do you feel about it?

I have one; I like it. I bought it three years ago when it was
discontinued in the US by Radio Shack for $US89.97. My brother later
bought one as well. He has a later version, which has more MW
memories. Mine, the 20-219A, has nine, and his, the 20-219B, has 18.
The date code for mine is 10A6. As usual, I am listening to it now. I
use it more than any other SW radio I own, simply because it is in the
same room with my computer.

I have never used the built-in tape recorder, and it is quite limited
in its functions. Many people think the DX-390 was a better value,
assuming you did not want a built-in tape recorder, but Radio Shack
discontinued that before it discontinued the DX-392.

It's too big to be a portable in the sense that a Sony 7600, Grundig
400, or Radio Shack DX-398 is a portable, but you certainly already
know that. In short, I have no regrets.

Details from Sangen on the identical ATS818ACS:
http://www.sangean.com/worldband.html

Review from Radio Netherlands:
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/ats818.html