Old September 14th 03, 07:46 PM
Clifton T. Sharp Jr.

Jack wrote:
The one that intrigued me the most was a signal that sounded like a
inebriated bagpiper playing the same weird series of notes over and
over, broken by infrequent short bursts of what sounded like scrambled
speech (inverted sideband?). It would show up at a wide assortment of
HF frwquencies, most often around 10-10.5, 11-12, 14-15, and 17 Mhz. I
don't know if it was riding propagation or what; seemed to be random.
Sometimes several different bagpipes were playing at once on different
freqs. Sometimes it appeared broken, with tones missing or slight
variations of the sequence. This occurred more frequently as the
years went on. I first heard it around 1965, but it was still around,
in one variation or another, until at least 1978, when I was forced to
"get a life" and stop SWL'ing.

I remember the bagpiper. I don't remember the bursts between, but I might
not have paid attention to them back then. I do remember a definite click
at certain regular intervals in the recording.

I remember the magazine columns of the time kept referring to a "kiss
me honey" (or "honey honey") signal, named after some song. I always
wondered if the bagpiper was that one, because I never heard anything
I could remotely connect with "kiss me honey".

--
"Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."