Old September 15th 03, 05:26 AM
N3KCT

I have a DX-390 which is the same radio, but
without the cassette recorder. The 390 has a
bigger, better speaker, so audio sounds better.

The FET's in the front-end on these are unprotected
and have a tendency to get toasted by static discharge
or being placed in a high RF environment.
The FET is a 2SK152, but the Shack doesn't stock it.
I toasted mine by operating my 2 meter HT too close.
I replaced it with a hotter FET from an old cordless
telephone PCB. I tried an MPF-102 like many websites
said, but was dissatisfied with poor sensitivity.
I installed a pair of 1N914's across the antenna input
terminals for future protection.

The DX-392 comes with a reset switch located inside the
battery compartment, so you don't have to wait a whole day
for the CPU to reset when it gets locked up.

Aside from these minor points, I'd take one for a case of beer!