Old September 15th 03, 10:04 PM
Michael Rathbun

In rec.radio.shortwave on Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:45:28 GMT,
Jack wrote:

When first I heard the sucker, I thought it was an interval signal for
a SW broadcaster, but when it kept going 10, 15, 20 minutes nonstop, I
became mystified and awed by it. When I caught it, I'd stay tuned to
it for hours. Why? Not so much patience, but a maniacal,
pathological interest in it!!! That's how I first heard the voice
bursts a couple years after I first discovered the signal.

I first heard it in the early 60s and, like you, listened for long periods. I
still remember the "melody" the thing emitted. Over time it seemed to gain and
lose "notes" from the beginning and the end. It was several years before I
heard the voice bursts, which I assumed were SSB, but was never listening with
an SSB-capable receiver at the proper moment.

mdr