Old September 16th 03, 04:03 AM
Frank Dresser

"David" wrote in message
Yes, but libraries today lend videos and provides internet access.

Not these libraires. The guy who was interviewed said he was setting them
up in a single room with some bookshelves, etc. I don't remember if he got
specific about what he put on the shelves, but I can't imagine there was
much more than an encyclopedia, some donated books and State Department
handouts. He said such libraries could be kept going for the cost of one
big diplomatic party.

His point wasn't about the libraries, but public diplomacy. He believed
there should be more diplomatic outreach to everyday people in foriegn
countres. He also mentioned such approaches as buying radio time on local
stations. And I'll agree with that. There's alot of FM in around the world
now, and if that's what the people are listening to, that's where we should
put the programming. Interesting programming would be nice, too. SW is
most useful as for getting into closed societies and as a backup to our
other broadcast operations.

Frank Dresser