Old September 16th 03, 06:22 AM
Tony Meloche

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote:

Jack wrote:
(Michael Rathbun) wrote:
I first heard it in the early 60s and, like you, listened for long periods.
I still remember the "melody" the thing emitted.

It was sort of hypnotic to me, though it annoyed the hell out of
everbody around me. g The basic rythym went something like:

da-di-dah, di-da-da-da-dah. da-da-di-dah, da-di-di-dah--di-di-dah-dah.

Hm. That doesn't sound at all like the tune that's been going through my
head ever since this thread started.

Mine was more like

da-da-da-da-da-daaaa-da-da-da-da-daaaa-da-da-da-da-daaaa-daaaa-da-da-
| | | | | | | | |

daaaa-da-da-daaaa-da
| | | |

where each "|" beneath symbolizes a sharp, short click in the sound.
There was a pause about the length of three of the long "daaaa" notes,
and it repeated.

Ah, the memories. Back in the sixties, there was one pro-Western
station (and it was not VOA - which always used "Columbia, the Gem of
the Ocean",)
who's musical signature was the first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth,
followed by a voice saying: "The West will win!" followed by the next
four notes of the Beethoven.

One of the European stations, and it's either DW or SRI still uses
the same musical tune it used back in the sixties, I know (I am a
musician, and tunes get lodged in my memory forever).

Tony