Old June 6th 04, 09:38 AM
Brian Howie

In message , Tyas_MT
writes

I built, for a 'start from scratch' foxhunt, a 3 element yagi on 2m (~146
mhz) out of magnet wire glued onto a piece of poster board. I used standard
numbers and it worked fine. The hardest part was soldering wire thinner than
my hair to the coax and anchoring the coax to the poster board so it would
get pulled off.
I won the hunt over all the 'body shielded ht' guys, even taking 10min to
build my antenna...

This is interesting. I toyed with the idea of disposable antenna
systems for VHF Field Days. They only have to survive for 24hours, but
have to be big, cheap and light weight. I came up with the idea of
wrapping kitchen foil onto the thin dowel used to support plants to make
the elements (maybe plastic drinking straws would do on 70cm) and make
the boom out of bamboo or plastic tubing using string and a t-bar to
stop droop and sideways bend.

I never pursued it, but the card idea comes close to what I was
thinking of. Anyone tried something more ambitious. ?

Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie