Old September 19th 03, 09:13 PM
saki

(Sven Franklyn Weil) wrote in
:

In article et,
DaveC wrote:
antenna on his balcony. (The management doesn't allow anything on the
roof of the building.) The balcony is a roofed 6 ft x 8 ft affair.

Wasn't there a rule by the FCC that management or neighborhood
committies could not forbid you from erecting an aerial on the roof?

47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000 refers to video and fixed wireless signals; it
does not include broadcast and amateur radio reception or transmission.
You can install antennas for satellite video programming or
telephone/Internet services but not (for instance) for shortwave
reception.

The ruling also restricts installation to areas where you have exclusive
use, such as a balcony or patio. The roof is considered a common area and
is not part of the area protected for video/satellite/wireless antenna
installation.

For the situation DaveC describes, I'd recommend a couple options.
Stringing a discreet small-gauge random wire on the inside surface of the
balcony roof and/or support posts (if any) may work, particularly if a
balun or small tuner is available. I'm not sure what model Drake receiver
is being used but it's a cheap solution that's worth experimentation.

Another option may be an attic antenna (if there's an attic available) or
a random wire secured to the upper wall next to the ceiling. If you like
loops here's a link to one suggested configuration:

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../housloop.html

I've lived in apartments for the past twenty-eight years and have managed
to work around most antenna restrictions by using extremely thin wire
(24-28 gauge magnet wire is fine, even thinner if you must) in locations
where folks don't expect to see it. I'm pushing the envelope a bit now; I
have fifty feet of magnet wire strung between two trees in the back
courtyard, but I have an alternate attic random wire in case the outdoor
one disappears (or is made to disappear). This signals I've gotten
through both this year have been surprisingly good.

----