Old September 22nd 03, 11:58 PM
Mitchell Regenbogen

Thanks. I've certainly seen many models without the Air band, and that
doesn't bother me much, but none without the USB/LSB buttons, so I
didn't really look for that when bidding on the auction. My fault, I
guess.

(John Crabtree) wrote in
:

Mitchell Regenbogen
on 9/22/03 wrote:

I just agreed to buy an ICF-2001D on ebay. I was under the
impression, from reading around the net that the 2001D is the
same as the 2010. But I noticed after the auction was over
that the unit is missing the Air band as well as the USB/LSB
buttons next to the Wide/Narrow/Sync buttons. What
the hell did I buy???

Thanks for any info.

There are at least 6 versions of the ICF-2001D/2010 with different
frequency coverages and inclusion/exclusion of SSB. Clearly you have
bought a version without certain features, quite possibly one designed
for use in part of the Middle East.

Versions of the radio with Airband coverage have a small additional
PCB, which makes the addition of this capability almost impossible.
If you find that you do not have the full LW/SW/FM frequency coverage
then this can be restored by removing or adding (I am not sure which)
solder bridges on one of the printed circuit boards.

If you are brave, then it might be possible to modify the case and two
buttons for USB and LSB. You need to start by getting a service
manual. I recall reading somewhere that somebody had done this but I
cannot find the details. You would need to do a lot of investigating
first.

Finally I suggest joining the icf2010 group at Yahoo groups, and
looking through the archives

73 John KC0GGH