Old September 26th 03, 06:54 PM
Altawaowr

I recommend the Kaito WRX911, what an incredible little radio it is.
I was camping last week in Oregon and could get the 30kw RFPI from
Costa Rica at night, plus all the usual powerhouses. The speaker
makes shortwave stations bright sounding and very audible (not mushy)
and the radio is really sensitive. Battery life has been excellent so
far. The WRX911 is small and weighs 220g with batteries. There's a
'feel of quality' to the thing too that impressed me also, the little
pocket sangean is flimsy in comparison. The WRX911 is a bargain at
$25.

On 24 Sep 2003 12:08:46 -0700, (Rambler) wrote:

I am looking for input into whether to buy a new SW portable.
For 5 years I have had the Sangean ATS-808 that has been my only
shortwave. I have been very happy with its performance, though I have
missed not having SSB. Over the years, I have bought and returned a
Panasonic RFB-65, RS DX-398, and a Grundig YB400. Each time, when I
would compare it to the 808, it would not prove to be worth spending
any extra money. I also have slowed on my DXing.
I am now traveling monthly to Latin America (Mexico, Chile, Brazil,
Peru) and would like to have a small SW to use on my trips. I would
also use this radio as a backpacking radio. (I'd love to find one that
receives weather bands!)
My question is: Should I just take the 808 and save my money or are
there some much smaller radios that are fairly cheap, but would give
decent enough performance to justify a different radio? I will not be
trying to pull in very faint signals because I would not think the
clarity would be possible.

The only problem with the 808 is it is a bit big and there are times
where my suitcase space is really cramped. I don't want to pay more
than $200 for a radio, so the Sony sw100 is out.

I have considered the following:
Sony SW07- alot of money. I don't know that it is worth it unless its
performance will make me stop using the 808 at home.
Sangean 606- A good choice but too much like the 808. It would be like
kissing your sister.
Grundig Traveler VII- Nice and small, but I am concerned about
performance and value
Kchibo KKE-200- nice and cheap, but a good radio?
Grundig 100- nice and cheap, but a good radio?

Which radios would you suggest or should I just stick with the 808 and
use the money elsewhere?

Any comments are welcome.

Rambler