Old September 26th 03, 09:43 PM
snow

I recommend an Sony SW100. If you can find a used one in good shape it is
worth the price. I got a used one for $175 a few years ago at Universal
Radio Used Equipment site. Was in excellant shape. VERY portable.
Rambler wrote in message
om...
I am looking for input into whether to buy a new SW portable.
For 5 years I have had the Sangean ATS-808 that has been my only
shortwave. I have been very happy with its performance, though I have
missed not having SSB. Over the years, I have bought and returned a
Panasonic RFB-65, RS DX-398, and a Grundig YB400. Each time, when I
would compare it to the 808, it would not prove to be worth spending
any extra money. I also have slowed on my DXing.
I am now traveling monthly to Latin America (Mexico, Chile, Brazil,
Peru) and would like to have a small SW to use on my trips. I would
also use this radio as a backpacking radio. (I'd love to find one that
receives weather bands!)
My question is: Should I just take the 808 and save my money or are
there some much smaller radios that are fairly cheap, but would give
decent enough performance to justify a different radio? I will not be
trying to pull in very faint signals because I would not think the
clarity would be possible.

The only problem with the 808 is it is a bit big and there are times
where my suitcase space is really cramped. I don't want to pay more
than $200 for a radio, so the Sony sw100 is out.

I have considered the following:
Sony SW07- alot of money. I don't know that it is worth it unless its
performance will make me stop using the 808 at home.
Sangean 606- A good choice but too much like the 808. It would be like
kissing your sister.
Grundig Traveler VII- Nice and small, but I am concerned about
performance and value
Kchibo KKE-200- nice and cheap, but a good radio?
Grundig 100- nice and cheap, but a good radio?

Which radios would you suggest or should I just stick with the 808 and
use the money elsewhere?

Any comments are welcome.

Rambler