Old September 26th 03, 11:57 PM
Luis Vasquez

Default Sony ICF-SW1 vs Grundig YB-400

I bought a used Grundig Yacht Boy 400 a few weeks ago. The Sony ICF-SW1 that
I have picks up stations about as good as the YB 400. However, my YB 400 has
much worse sound quality than the SW1. The sound is dull and sounds like a
treble control in it is set to a very low setting. The SW1 has very clear
sound, even through lots of static. I would think that a larger, newer radio
such as the Yacht Boy 400 would have much better sound.
I just tried the dynaboost mod at
http://members.aol.com/rickw999/ybdymod.txt on the 400, but it doesn't make
it sound better than the SW1 and the volume is far too loud.
Also, the volume on the 400 goes up and down dramatically as the signal gets
stronger and fades, unlike the SW-1 where the sound level stays the same. Is
there any way to modify the AGC circuit?
Is the YB-400 supposed to have worse sound than the ICF-SW1, or is my 400 a
lemon?