Old September 28th 03, 01:09 AM
SW

How can one have "one too many radios"? I have dozens of radios and am
always looking for more (and I know I'm not alone in this addiction)......

"Guy Davis" wrote in message
I live near New Orleans. A couple of months ago, to prepare for hurricane
season, I bought the "wind-up" Grundig FR-200 at the local Radio Shack.

I used a set of headphones from my Walkman with it, and have really

enjoyed
listening to the High and Low shortwave bands (no SSB, though). I'm
hooked -- I really enjoy scrolling through those bands.

So, right now there are two radios on my nightstand (the Grundig FR-200

and
a Sangean CCRadio Plus) which is one too many. The CCR+ has AM/FM/WX/TV

(I
couldn't care less for TV sound on a radio). The FR-200 has
AM/FM/SW-Low/SW-High. Both radios are amazingly good quality units, and

the
$40 Grundig gets almost as good AM signals as the $160 CCR+, but the

"slide
rule" analog tuning skewed to lower AM frequencies can't compare with the
completely even-scaled digital tuning of the CCR+ for finding stations
quickly (especially in higher AM ranges).

I'd like to have the AM/FM quality (including the amazingly good digital
tuning system) of the CCRadio Plus with a good shortwave receiver (this

time
with SSB) in one unit.

What do you folks suggest? Would a Sangean ATS-909 be what I'm looking

for,
or what? The budget is $300 or less.

Thanks,

G. Davis