Old September 28th 03, 04:19 AM
Jon

Default First Portable

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first portable to jump in and get my feet wet. On top
of world band I'd like to try to search out some pirate/clandestine
stations. I am thinking of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. I realize this isn't
high-end, but I don't know enough yet to spend more. I'd like a Drake R8B,
but it ain't in the cards yet...

I guess I'm wondering how effective this radio will be for listening to
pirates. I live in NYC on the top floor of a five story building and would
be able to rig some sort of antenna on the roof. Or maybe get the Sony
AN-LP1...

Would this be a good starter radio? Any suggestions for an antenna? Any
other recommendations for the uninitiated?

Thanks!

Jon