Old September 28th 03, 04:45 AM
Mitchell Regenbogen

Avoind the 2010? That's the first I've ever heard that.

David wrote in
:

If you're happy with the wind-up Grundig audio and like the CCR, you
may want to check out a Sangean ATS-505. It is very similar to the
CCR in ''style''. Most Sangeans have very good MW performance.

I would avoid the Sony 2010, based on my personal experience. They
are somewhat quirky and sound pretty flat.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:01:07 -0500, "Guy Davis"
wrote:

I live near New Orleans. A couple of months ago, to prepare for
hurricane season, I bought the "wind-up" Grundig FR-200 at the local
Radio Shack.

I used a set of headphones from my Walkman with it, and have really
enjoyed listening to the High and Low shortwave bands (no SSB,
though). I'm hooked -- I really enjoy scrolling through those bands.

So, right now there are two radios on my nightstand (the Grundig
FR-200 and a Sangean CCRadio Plus) which is one too many. The CCR+
has AM/FM/WX/TV (I couldn't care less for TV sound on a radio). The
FR-200 has AM/FM/SW-Low/SW-High. Both radios are amazingly good
quality units, and the $40 Grundig gets almost as good AM signals as
the $160 CCR+, but the "slide rule" analog tuning skewed to lower AM
frequencies can't compare with the completely even-scaled digital
tuning of the CCR+ for finding stations quickly (especially in higher
AM ranges).

I'd like to have the AM/FM quality (including the amazingly good
digital tuning system) of the CCRadio Plus with a good shortwave
receiver (this time with SSB) in one unit.

What do you folks suggest? Would a Sangean ATS-909 be what I'm
looking for, or what? The budget is $300 or less.

Thanks,

G. Davis
Picayune, MS