Old September 29th 03, 04:08 AM
starman

-=jd=- wrote:

To be honest, my local RS has an old timer behind the counter that
actually knows what hot solder smells like. I have not asked, and he has
not volunteered, but I would not be surprised if he's been a ham for
decades.

And when I say "Old Timer", I mean that with all due respect.

The original manager at my local RS was trained in electronics in the
military. I used to enjoy talking 'shop' with him. He retired a few
years ago, so now it's an intellectual wasteland there. I don't think RS
really wants employees with electronics knowledge these days. It might
get in the way of pushing the cell phones. If the corporate clones at RS
were really honest about the current state of affairs in the company,
they would change the name to the 'Cell Phone Shack'.