Old September 29th 03, 01:37 PM
Rambler

Thanks for all the input on this from everyone. This is my plan as of
today:

1. I bought a Kaide KK-9702 on Ebay for $15.00. This is a small
lightweight radio that got better reviews than the Grundig 100. It
will be a redio that I would not care got confiscated or zapped in an
airport. It's 4.6"X3" and 6oz. so its small. I look forward to
comparing it to my ATS-808 to see how big of a difference there really
is in performance.

2. The "receiver" idea to me is really interesting. I think I am going
to look at the Yaesu VR-120D and the ICOM IC-R5. (the VR-500 is just
too much out of my price range.) This will give a durable radio for
backpacking or travel with weather and give me a taste of scanning and
ham listening. Plus I could pick up TV.

My questions now are these:

Everyone recommended the Yaesu, no one the ICOM. Is there a reason?
Are the two receivers basically the same?

These are both just below $200. I assume I will need an additional
antenna(s). Is there anything else that is a must to have?

Any questions I haven't asked that I should before I buy?

Thanks for the input.

Rambler