Old June 8th 04, 07:45 PM
Cecil Moore

Ken wrote:
This is a great thread, I have a question about your post. If the all
the reflected energy is reflected back toward the load, is it in phase
with the original or subsequent energy? or does it matter?

I am from the old school, Ken. I believe that power is a scalar and
doesn't possess phase. IMO, any phase calculation that you see being
used on power originates from the voltage phase and/or current phase
associated with that power. It is done all the time in optics.

The answer to your question is, assuming PA stands for Phase Angle:
Since forward voltages and forward currents are in phase, V*I*cos(PA)
yields watts with no vars. Since reflected voltage and reflected current
are 180 degrees out of phase, V*I*cos(PA) yields watts with no vars.
So extremely loosely speaking, the "phase" of the power can be considered
to be the same as the phase of the voltage or current since they are
the same phase. However, such a consideration cannot be considered to
be good physics.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp