Old September 29th 03, 11:58 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Dennis Ferguson" wrote in message
Frank Dresser wrote:
How much privacy are the BPL folk promising? I have to figure there's

some
level of encryption, but I'm curious about the level. If a power grid is
used for a network, than the common signals will be available at any

power
outlet in a whole area, even for non-subscribers. Looks like a high tech
party line to me.

Note that this is not a unique attribute, it is about the same situation
as that which exists for broadband Internet service via cable modems. I
assume that BPL would use the same protection techniques (mostly
depending on control of the receiving equipment, I think). This seems
to mostly work, I very seldom hear complaints about the security of
people's cable connections.

Dennis Ferguson

Cable connections are shielded. If signals "leak out," the cable company
is required to fix it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE