Old September 30th 03, 01:36 PM
DougSlug

"Rambler" wrote in message
om...
Everyone recommended the Yaesu, no one the ICOM. Is there a reason?
Are the two receivers basically the same?

Possibly because it's a fairly new product and there may not be as many
owners yet. I, too, am curious about the differences. I do know that the
Icom IC-R2 usually got better reviews than the Yaesus in the past. I would
imagine that the IC-R5's performance is at least as good.

These are both just below $200. I assume I will need an additional
antenna(s). Is there anything else that is a must to have?

If you plan on listening to anything below VHF, you should have at the very
least a random wire (the reel type would be good for backpacking). Sony's
AN-LP1 active loop antenna packs up small and works very well for SW.
Depending on where you are, even just a good telescopic would help
considerably over the stock ducky.

- Doug