Old September 30th 03, 01:55 PM
Stephan Grossklass

matt weber schrieb:

And the eronomics of the YB-500 are without a doubt the worst of any
commercial receiver. The instruction books is unreadable, and

It also eats batteries like there is no tomorrow. It was Grundig's
first attempt to resond to the Sony SW-55/77.

Rather the 55 than the 77. It is evident that the Yachtboy 360, 500 and
Satellit 900 (the one that never came out) are from the same "family" -
good sound and FM reception (well, they were Grundigs...), not so good
selectivity. I think those used a 2nd IF of 450 kHz throughout, no idea
why the engineers didn't choose 455 kHz with better filter choices
instead.

They had a lot to
learn. You cannot pay me enough to want to own another YB500.

This new YB-550PE is probably made by Tecsun and is not likely to have
much in common with the old Grundig Germany designed models (just like
the YB-400, which uses a 2nd IF of 455 kHz instead of the typical 450
kHz and doesn't look very "Grundig like" either). The antenna is hinged
at the top of the receiver rather than the bottom (which had been very
awkward and impractical). Many of the buttons on the new model look a
bit small to me, but overall the arrangement of controls appears usable.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 448 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W