Old October 1st 03, 04:40 AM
Michael

Hiya...

I have used both radios. Both are great radios. Currently, I own the R-75.
For my uses, I favor the R-75. The R-75 is a better SSB and utility rig
then the Drake. I also think the R-75 is a better DX'ing rig then the
Drake. I find that most DX'ing of very weak and messy signals are best done
in SSB using ecss method. AM sync is almost a non-issue for DX'ing and the
R-75, with it's SSB capabilities is a supreme ecss rig. The R-75's twin pbt
set up is a tremendous plus. Also... Filters... The R-75 uses two filters
in series, and, although you don't really need additional filters, there is
the option to add.

The Drake has better audio and an effective AM sync out of the box, but for
a few dollars, you can get the Kiwa mods for the AM sync and audio section
for the R-75. I have those mods on my R-75 and it's such an improvement,
I'd say that the audio quality and AM sync function of the R-75 is now as
good as the Drake's. With the mods, and a nice external speaker, my R-75 is
a full sounding AM radio that can be listened too comfortably for hours :-)

So... The R-75 can do what the Drake can including sound just as good as an
AM radio with a simple, inexpensive and fully reversible mod, but the Drake
can't do what the R-75 can.

I guess if you wanna get a radio mostly for AM broadcast, I'd get the Drake.
If you want to get into serious DX'ing and utility, go with the R-75.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

"Paul Clay" wrote in message
I'm looking to pick up a table top shortwave receiver and have narrowed
my choices to a used Drake R8 (about $500) or a new Icom R-75 (currently
$450 on sale). Any thoughts about which one should get the nod?
Comparative benefits/features? I've read that some inexpensive mods to
the Icom R-75 can make it quite a contender but that, on the other hand,
it comes without the filters that would be standard in the Drake R8?

Thanks!