Old October 1st 03, 05:28 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Paul Clay schrieb:

I'm looking to pick up a table top shortwave receiver and have narrowed
my choices to a used Drake R8 (about $500) or a new Icom R-75 (currently
$450 on sale). Any thoughts about which one should get the nod?

Which version of the R8 are you considering? Read up about the
differences, say, with Radio Netherlands. I'd say the Icom is a nice rig
for ham/ute work (and extreme broadcast DX) with its twin PBT, optional
DSP and all, while the Drake seems to favor broadcast listening more
(also, its coil filters even if at a low 2nd IF aren't quite as steep as
good crystal or ceramic ones, but can be designed to give very little
passband ripple). Be aware that the sync prior to the R8B is not
sideband selectable, but apparently fiddling with the PBT helps (similar
to the AR7030). I'd prefer the R8A to the older R8 because it apparently
contains a number of non-negligible improvements in every respect (RF
performance as well as operation). The current R8B should be a class
above the IC-R75.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 448 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W