Old October 3rd 03, 07:32 PM
Mike Maghakian

the R8 is not worth $500. I bought mine several months ago for $350.
The R8 is a great radio but the selectable sync on the SW-8 and
Satellit 800 is FAR superior. I have ALL THREE of the above and my
main rx is the SW-8 because of its small size over the 800. the R8
sits on my workbench for other purposes and comparision work to the
receiver I am modding or testing. The 8 or 800 makes easier better
listenning on stations with het problems. The BIG advantage of the R-8
over the other two is the better narrow filters for SSB/CW/UTES etc
work. the SW-8 and 800 are SWBC receivers, not code receivers since
they don't have filters narrower than 2.3

Paul Clay wrote in message ...
I'm looking to pick up a table top shortwave receiver and have narrowed
my choices to a used Drake R8 (about $500) or a new Icom R-75 (currently
$450 on sale). Any thoughts about which one should get the nod?
Comparative benefits/features? I've read that some inexpensive mods to
the Icom R-75 can make it quite a contender but that, on the other hand,
it comes without the filters that would be standard in the Drake R8?

Thanks!