Old October 6th 03, 01:54 PM
Tony Meloche

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Of course, don't be fooled by foreign-language domestics. For example,
the dominant signal on 1540 around here is a Spanish-language station --
transmitting from Canada...

I was heavy into SWDX in the sixties and seventies, then "life got in
the way" and I've just been heavy back into it the last few years. One
of the biggest differences I notice from then to now is the number of
foreign service broadcasts from a wide variety of countries that come
from transmitters
very close to us here. When I first started back, I spent two hours one
afternoon enjoying the music, and marveling at how clear the signal was
from Voice of Greece. Two days later, I found out the transmitter on
that day, at that time UTC, was in Eastern Canada! Speaking just for
myself, I usually only log a catch if it is originating from the home
country, or their main transmitter. Best as memory serves, back in
those "olde tyme" days when I started, if you heard "Radio
Goombatzowitz", the transmitter was in Goombatzowitz, period. Got
"burned" several times in my early return days a few years ago until I
caught on to the "relay transmitter" thing!

Tony