Old October 9th 03, 08:17 PM
Frank Dresser

"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote in message

Could be, but how did WWCR end up with tropical-band frequencies?

There are utility transmitters used on these frequencies outside the
tropics. I remember trying to catch some of the Latin American stations
among the racket 20 some years ago. The FCC has a frequency such as 3.210
in a fixed/mobile/radiolocation band:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

So, I suppose the FCC could allow a broadcaster to broadcast on a US utility
frequency as long as it doesn't interfere with another service. But I don't
know for sure. This is a guess I made when stations ended up on all sorts
of oddball frequencies such as 12.172 MHz.

Frank Dresser