Old October 11th 03, 06:29 PM
Robert F Wieland

In article ,
Tony Meloche wrote:
Why would reception improve - and noise drop - when the chassis
ground to the receiver is removed? This is noticeable on SW, but *very*
noticeable on MW. Ground connection is to faceplate screw of a
(verified) grounded 3-prong outlet, the best grouond I can muster, at
the moment.

Two possible explanations come to mind:
1. Local radiating noise sources are mostly "e" field, as you are very
close to them ("in the near field"). So connecting a ground may improve
your reception of the noise more than it does the signal.
2. You may have noise on your wiring's Green Wire. EVERY PC I've ever
opened has used the Green Wire as its operating ground, as the electrical
code forces it (the metal enclosure, being a conductive object the user
can touch, MUST be so grounded). So you may have digital hash on your
ground, being conducted into your receiver with you antenna acting as a
counterpoise.

Should I try a simple length of "counterpoise" wire as a ground?

Sure. Also, see if you can't rig up some sort of 'extension' to your
original antenna, so you can have a 'balanced' antenna that doesn't need
to work against ground. I say that knowing a chorous of voices will
immediately arise, saying "That will work better with an
impedance-matching balun." True, but just connecting with a piece of
twinlead or even zip cord will still work.

--

R F Wieland Newark, DE 19711-5323 USA 39.68N 75.74W
Icom R75 Heathkit GR-81 Inverted-L in the attic