Old October 12th 03, 09:41 AM
starman

Frank Dresser wrote:

"elfa" wrote in message

Damn...you would have to mention steel. I put up a 50' random with made

of
steel rather than copper as my other copper random wire stretches.

Would you advise replacing the steel with copper wire? This is a newbie
question.

thanks

elfa

Steel wire is fine. Conductivity is more than adequate. Doing something to
slow down the development of rust at the connections might be worthwhile.

It's difficult to make a lasting connection to steel wire other than
welding or brazing to it. Mechanical connections will eventually develop
too much resistance (oxidation/rust) unless they are completely sealed
in a material such as epoxy or polyester resin. The best way to use
steel wire as an antenna is to use a continuous length, all the way to
the radio without any wire connections outside.