Old August 14th 03, 11:55 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Tarmo Tammaru" wrote:

My first tower consisted of 3 sections of Rohn
HBX. This gave me 24 feet. To the top of this
I added a 10 foot piece of 2 inch OD Al pipe.
This was fastened to the tower with angle iron
and U bolts at the top plate and the rotor
shelf. Somebody gave it to me. It actually
started life as a Hygain vertical. The middle
of the second section was fastened to the end
of the garage with TV house brackets. The
ground mount consisted of three pieces of pipe
driven into the ground, with 1 bag of concrete
to add some strength.

Now that is a good idea. We could just add eight or nine feet of pipe to
the top of maybe two tower sections. That would give enough height, without
breaking the bank. However, the base would have to be stronger. We live in
an area where tropical storms are routine and hurricanes are not rare. I
don't really expect it to stay up through a hurricane, but would like it to
survive most tropical storm winds. A solid concrete base, as described
elsewhere, would be better suited for the task.

BTW, have you considered a roof tower? Even a
garage roof would give you at least 12 free
feet.

Yep, the roof is out. We're leasing the commercial building and they're
very touchy about their relatively new roofing.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/