Old June 10th 04, 11:39 AM
Fractenna

Where is says:
"With my technique, I reduce the inductive loading that is normally required
resonate the antenna by as much as 75 percent . . . by utilizing the
distributed capacitance around the antenna," he explained.

To linearize the current you need to place capacitance at the top.

His design-as stated in the press release --calls for about 0.4 waves
electrical length as a helix (0.008 inches x 100 turns @ 1 Ghz). This is
electrically long for a 1/4 monopole configuration. So the design is
electrically long but very physically short: Stated 15 inches high for 15
meters. (This means that if you don't slow the wave, there is more than one
current max.) This will drive the feedpoint impedance up and improve bandwidth.
It also increases ohmic loss. Thus the tradeoff.

A loading coil on the helix will help linearize it--I'm there so far.
Distributing the capacitance is trickier.

In fairness, we don't know the design, but there is nothing new that appears to
me--in my opinion--in these stated approache(s).

The press releases claim high efficiency and broad bandwidth.Of course, these
are relative terms. 1/15 wave high monopoles with excess of 10% BW with gains
of -1.5 dBd are prior art. If you make a bit taller then it becomes much more
interesting.

BUT we don't live in a single band world anymore. In fact, we don't live very
much in a monopole world anymo the trend is ground independent, wideband
antennas, or at least multiband ones..

There's a lot more to antenna issues: anyone who thinks the issue with RFID
antennas is gain and size doesn't understand the issues with RFID, for
example. Right, Wayne:-)?

Losses are a huge concern in very compact designs--placing them on substrates
loads them intractably, for example.

Also, knowledge of the prior art is essential for making a claim of
'revolutionary' antenna technology. I have not seen anything in the press
releases that --in my opinion--indicates a good knowledge of the prior art by
the inventor. He may have it, but it is not apparent from these statements. He
obviously has a good working knowledge of the problem. That's not the same
thing.

Anyway, fun stuff. The bottom line on what appears--to me-- as the claim
relevant to hams: If you need a -1 to -2 dBd short monopole that covers the CW
portion of 40M, for example, this may be useful, in my opinion. If you want to
stick it on your roof then be prepared to have a big roof:-).

73,
Chip N1IR