Old June 10th 04, 11:57 AM
Richard

"Richard" wrote in message

I've yet to determine whether I can classsify using models in an antenna
program as being a "simple design methodolgy" given the kinds of
alterations I might want to make.

The point being of course that if someone gives me a model, what do I know
about the practical construction associated with that model. Does the model
file (NEC or EX file) include data about element fixing method for
instance. Probably not. So unless I can input these practical parameters
into the program, and these paramters serve to make alterations to the
elements, diameter and spacings, how can I arrive at a practical design
having followed a "simple design methodolgy".

This is why Technical Note 688 looked so promising at first. The design
methodology is simple and you can input details or alterations concerning
the boom size and element diameters and end up with a practical design in
no time at all. There are apparant problems with Note 688, as you say with
Table 10 being possibly practically useless without there being a detailed
specification of element fixing.