Old October 18th 03, 05:53 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Michael wrote:
Any offerings regarding the longest distance MW, AM broadcast that you ever
got ???

Talk Radio U.K., 1053 and 1089KHz. (both frequencies heard) Exact
distance is hard to estimate, as they have several high-powered
transmitters on both frequencies and there's no way to know which
transmitters I was hearing. (probably the sum of several)

I've heard a loud 1KHz heterodyne against 1520 WWKB, which almost
certainly came from Saudi Arabia, but with no audio heard I'm not
claiming it.

Going the other direction, my best Western DX would be 690 CBU and 1130
CKWX, both Vancouver, Canada. CBU heard battling with flea-powered KOAQ
in western Nebraska and a French-language station in Saskatchewan, with
the 50KW powerhouse in Montreal off the air. CKWX is actually heard
surprisingly often here on the big antenna.

Mine, here in NJ, has been: 580 KMJ in Fresno, CA. It's a 50KW station
that I have been able to hear a few times during exceptional MW conditions.
I had to use SSB, NB, several tweaks to the pbt and my "Frankenstein"
antenna, but I was able to hear the station ID.

I kinda hate to throw water on the fire, but are you SURE you heard KMJ?

California is pretty tough even from here, let alone from New Jersey.
Most East Coast DXers report 640 KFI, 680 KNBR (the most reliable
California signal here), and 1070 KNX. I don't think I've ever seen a
report of KMJ from east of the Rockies. KMJ is only 50KW during the day
(they reduce to 5KW at sunset) and is directional during the day. (my
educated guess is they protect Boise and Topeka. The latter null is in
a line to your location.)

I won't say it's *impossible* you heard KMJ but I do think it's rather
unlikely. My guess is you heard some other station (maybe WHP
Harrisburg?) carrying the same network as KMJ and mentioning the
California station.

Keep at it. You *will* hear California soon enough!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66