Old October 18th 03, 05:56 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Tony Meloche wrote:
I also pulled CMBV from Wajay, Cuba not long ago, which was my first
foreign (excluding Canada) AM broadcast. That's about 1350 miles from
where I live now, but it is listed as a 500,000W station! But it was a
heck of a kick to know I was listening to an ordinary AM station from
another part of the world.

Most observers believe many of the Cuban stations listed with extremely
high powers are not using anywhere near as much power as listed. (with
the loosening of relations between Russia and Cuba, they're having an
electricity crisis and power for operating broadcast transmitters is
scarce) It's quite likely CMBV's power was a lot close to 50,000W,
making it an even better catch!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66