Old October 18th 03, 06:05 PM
grumpus

Harris wrote in message ...
grumpus wrote:
For Tony and Art, thanks. I heard CKZN's broadcast around 9:00 P.M.
if memory serves. I was twirling through the 49m band that night and
paused to listen to this broadcast because all their news and stories
seemed to be tailored to a far narrower audience than the usual CBC
fare I pick up out of Toronto. One story in particular caught my
attention and that was the report of the Newfoundland fishermen who
had set fire to several fishing boats which the provincial government
had purchased for the use of the local indigenous tribe.

I enjoy listening to that kind of thing much more than the usual shortwave
broadcasts. I used to like listening to CBA (1070 kHz) in Moncton, NB for
the same reason. They must have changed their antenna pattern, cuz I don't
hear them that well anymore (and I think there's another Canadian station
sharing that freq now and they take turns fading in and out).

Art N2AH

Hi Art. My two year old AM Radio Log indicates that CBA in Moncton
still runs 50000 watts day and night with a non-directional antenna.
I believe your surmise is correct though. CHOK Sarnia, Ontario is
co-channel on 1070 running 10000 watts round the clock, directionally,
different patterns day and night. Also, I totally agree with you. I
too wish there was more local flavor and less corporatism on the air.

Regards,

Grumpus