Old October 19th 03, 02:07 AM
Michael

I'm in NJ and I can hear AM stations from: OH, IL, KY, PA, NY, MA,VA and
other states. For me, the key to medium wave AM broadcast listening is
having a receiver like my R-75 that has SSB, pass band shift, noise blanking
and noise reduction. With those options, not only will you be able to
"hear" distant AM stations, you will actually be able to "listen" to them,
practically speaking.

If you are into DX'ing to see what you can "catch" with your radio, and
listen to, you will need a serious rig like the R-75. At the very least, a
good portable with ssb like the Sony 7600gr or the Grundig YB-400. Also...
Just as importantly. Some sort of antenna that is made to have a good
signal to noise ratio for the AM broadast band.

If your interest is being able to suck up the content of the shows and not
the DX'ing itself, just listen to them via webcast.
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

"Ronald" wrote in message
om...
I enjoy listening to talk radio shows at night but find my current
Radio Shack unit lacking. I live in Malibu, CA and would enjoy
listening to talk shows out of New York, Chicago and other cities with
great hosts. CC Crane offers the Sangean CCRadio Plus for $165 but
before spending this much on an AM radio does anyone have first hand
experience with it. Is there any real need to spend $165 for an AM
radio.