Old October 19th 03, 02:10 AM
Frank Dresser

"Gregg" wrote in message
news:iykkb.5814$At.3333@edtnps84...
I have an Akai AT-2400 tuner that did super duper well after replacing the
465 KHz ceramic filter with a Collins mechanical one :-)

Moral: Even the worst RX can be made good by tweaking the IF selectivity
;-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Is your Akai analog or digital? My flea market early 80's Harmon Kardon has
a pretty good AM tuner. Good sensitivity, low noise and about 15
flywheel-weighted turns lock to lock on the dial. It's only real DX
drawback are rather wide IF transformers, which is what I expect for a
hi-fi. I could say the same for the JVC stereo I trashpicked a few years
ago. But it had all slider controls, an idiotic thumbwheel instead of a
tuning knob and it was ugly. It was disco era. I fixed it up and gave it
away. It did work pretty well with my homebrew loop.

Frank Dresser