Old October 27th 03, 02:39 AM
starman

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:

I am using a 60 ft. random wire with my Icom R-75. The receiver also
has very solid outdoor ground. I get excellent signal pulling ability,
but a lot of noise, too. I have been given 65' of good quality coax.
If I replace the antenna "even-up" as it were, and ground the braid of
the coax to the receiver ground, will it quiet reception as much as I
have a hunch it would? Would it diminish signal gathering potential,
though (I know coax has higher signal loss over a long run.)

Very much appreciate any reply - thanks!

Tony

The antenna design I suggest looking at is the "Doty antenna".

It involves putting the coax underground, and putting your antenna away from noise sources like the devices in your house and your neighbors homes. It also uses a 9:1 impedance matching transformer.

The Doty-L works very well. Here's the URL for it:

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html