Old October 28th 03, 03:33 AM
Private

Hello Tony,

I have been into SWL'ing for roughly 15 years and have tried several
types of wire antenna. My suggestion would be to run the coax from
the radio outdoors, once outside attach the braid to an exterior
ground (i.e. ground rod driven in 8-10 feet). Then run your random
wire and attach to the centre of the coax.

I used to run 102' of 8U coax and found no issues with loss.

Tony Meloche wrote in message ...
I am using a 60 ft. random wire with my Icom R-75. The receiver also
has very solid outdoor ground. I get excellent signal pulling ability,
but a lot of noise, too. I have been given 65' of good quality coax.
If I replace the antenna "even-up" as it were, and ground the braid of
the coax to the receiver ground, will it quiet reception as much as I
have a hunch it would? Would it diminish signal gathering potential,
though (I know coax has higher signal loss over a long run.)

Very much appreciate any reply - thanks!

Tony