Old October 31st 03, 06:40 AM
starman

DJB wrote:

From what I see turning 360 Deg. a couple of times either way doesn't affect
my receive signal.
dave

I got my DX-160 out of storage and checked out the antenna trimmer
variable capacitor. I was surprised to find that it's made to rotate
only 180-deg. (half turn) like a main tuning cap'. This is because the
straight edge of the rotating plates has an insulating joiner between
them which prevents those plates from passing through the stationary
plates more than a half turn.
If your trimmer cap' is like mine, the only way it could turn 360-deg.
would be if that insulating joiner has come off or the rotating plate
assembly has completely separated from the shaft. The rotating plates
are mounted in a series of ringed grooves on the shaft.
You need to remove the bottom cover of the radio and see what's going on
with the trimmer capacitor. Confirm that the rotating plates are still
on the shaft. Then look for the insulating joiner between them. Be sure
to look for any loose parts which may have fallen inside the radio,
especially when you first remove the bottom cover.