Old October 31st 03, 02:15 PM
Al - KA5JGV

Ross I agree 100 percent with your suggestion to experiment. I installed a
12-gauge wire directly from my receiver down to a 6-foot ground rod. Total
length of ground wire about 8 feet. At the low end of the receiver, around
100kHz, the ground is a definite improvement. At the high end near 30MHz it
actually introduces more noise. My solution was to put a switch in the
ground wire near the receiver. When I do a major frequency change I simply
flip the switch back and forth for the best position and, as you said, not
argue with the results. When I'm not using the receiver I leave the ground
hooked up, it makes for a nice static discharge path.

Al KA5JGV

"Ross Archer" wrote in message
Given how noisy AC wiring can be, it can't hurt to
experiment. Try running the counterpoise wire so it's as
low to the ground (or floor) as possible. It may well
outperform your AC "ground", which probably is feeding in
massive amounts of electrical noise directly into your
radio. If it turns out to work better one way over another,
don't argue with results. :-)
-- Ross