Old November 2nd 03, 11:36 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Michael Bryant" wrote
| I, personally, think quotas and set-asides should be based on economic
| opportunities instead of race. Poor whites are often disadvantaged by the
poor
| communities and schools they attend. Helping these individuals get a fair
| chance of education and employment seems more important than creating
| opportunity for a minority born to a wealthy family and whose family's
wealth
| allowed them to attend Harvard.

Finally, folks are achieving an admirable level of sensibility!
In my own pea - brained world, the issue isn't race, it's class,
particularly the vanishing middle class (You know, the class
of citizens most certain to form an ethical core). The rich
truly are getting richer, and the poor are staying poor while
the numbers of folk in the latter group are growing, year by
year. I foresee a future of haves vs. have - nots, and you all
know (or can imagine) what may happen then.....

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN

---