Old November 4th 03, 02:50 AM
Tom Holden

Mark S. Holden wrote:
[snip]

But here's a link to a web site with information about
the DX-394. They rate radios for "value" - Their rating
system gives radios 1-5 stars. The DX-394 got 1 star.

http://www.dxing.com/rx/dx302.htm

Here is a page with an explanation of their value rating
system:

http://www.dxing.com/rx.htm

You'll note one star is considered "Poor".

[snip]

That's an unusually low rating with no negative comments or explanation to
support it. I would consider the ARRL Lab review in QST and the Radio
Netherlands review to be more comprehensive and professional.

QST Oct/97 - no rating system - "touts lots of features, especially
considering its price class"; "ultra-simple to use"; "Among the best
features of the DX-394 is its memory system"; "able to locate and copy some
of the amateur SSB stations that had shoehorned their way among the BC
behemoths"; "a decent job of receiving AM signals".

4 stars of 5 - http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/dx394.html

The following are averages of ratings submitted by a number of people:

5 stars of 5
http://www.consumerdemocracy.com/sho...ry= Ham+Radio

4.2/5 - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2108

3.5/5 - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1188
In this lowest average, there is one reviewer who gives it a 0! The majority
give it 4 of 5, the same as Radio Netherlands. That I think is a realistic
(not 'Realistic') value rating for the DX-394.

73, Tom