Old November 5th 03, 03:14 AM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

Default Thinking about a wideband receiver...

Hello all. I have been into DXing for about 5 years or so, and I recently
purchased a Drake R8B. It's fantastic. Anyway, after using it for a month
or so, I've found myself thinking about a wideband receiver to complement my
Drake. However, I already have a Uniden BC 780 XLT scanner, which I enjoy
as well. So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Am I really missing anything by not having a receiver that does not go
above 1.2 GHz? In other words, is it worth the $$$ to get access to the 1.2
+GHz spectrum above and beyond what my scanner will pick up?

2. Assuming that I decide to go with another receiver, do any of you have
recommendations as to a wideband receiver? I've been looking at the Icom
R-8500 and the Yaeseu VR-5000 (but the reviews I've read indicate this thing
stinks up the joint somewhat). I was also thinking about a JRC NRD-545 with
a VHF/UHF converter, but that would probably be expensive overkill.

All comments/suggestions/wisdom welcome.

Thanks!