Old November 5th 03, 07:42 AM
Mark Keith

"Jenni_is_a_Whore" wrote in message news:8ZZpb.211$jt.139@okepread05...
Hello all. I have been into DXing for about 5 years or so, and I recently
purchased a Drake R8B. It's fantastic. Anyway, after using it for a month
or so, I've found myself thinking about a wideband receiver to complement my
Drake. However, I already have a Uniden BC 780 XLT scanner, which I enjoy
as well. So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Am I really missing anything by not having a receiver that does not go
above 1.2 GHz? In other words, is it worth the $$$ to get access to the 1.2
+GHz spectrum above and beyond what my scanner will pick up?

2. Assuming that I decide to go with another receiver, do any of you have
recommendations as to a wideband receiver? I've been looking at the Icom
R-8500 and the Yaeseu VR-5000 (but the reviews I've read indicate this thing
stinks up the joint somewhat). I was also thinking about a JRC NRD-545 with
a VHF/UHF converter, but that would probably be expensive overkill.

All comments/suggestions/wisdom welcome.

Thanks!

Dunno. Up to you if you think 1.2 gig's is worth it. It's not to me
really. Also probably will depend if the local police, etc are on 800
mhz, using a trunked system. In that case, a trunk tracker scanner
might make sense. Here, the county uses 800 mhz, but the city is still
460 mhz. So for my area of town, I don't even need 800 mhz. Most
scanners will cover AM airband. I use my IC-706mk2g as my all band
radio. It's a small tranceiver that covers 30 hz to 470 mhz, with a
gap from 200-400 mhz. It covers everything I want except military
aircraft. I like it cuz it's all mode, with better than the average
scanner performance. Dunno what the best radio of that type is. The
Icom r-7000 is one I think covers most of that range, and looks pretty
decent. I haven't looked at the two models you mention. MK