Old November 6th 03, 02:09 AM
Stinger

Aw, come on! Get it and tell us all about it!

-- Stinger

"Jenni_is_a_Whore" wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies.

Matt, you really hit on something that I've been thinking about; the real
"front end" that a receiver like the R8500 has that a scanner does not.
I've heard much about the stability of this receiver which is why I think

it
might be a good investment.

There are so many things to consider. I'll have to have a few beers

tonight
and ponder this further.
+++++++++++++

"matt weber" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:14:49 -0600, "Jenni_is_a_Whore"
wrote:

Hello all. I have been into DXing for about 5 years or so, and I

recently
purchased a Drake R8B. It's fantastic. Anyway, after using it for a

month
or so, I've found myself thinking about a wideband receiver to

complement
my
Drake. However, I already have a Uniden BC 780 XLT scanner, which I

enjoy
as well. So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Am I really missing anything by not having a receiver that does not

go
above 1.2 GHz? In other words, is it worth the $$$ to get access to

the
1.2
+GHz spectrum above and beyond what my scanner will pick up?

2. Assuming that I decide to go with another receiver, do any of you

have
recommendations as to a wideband receiver? I've been looking at the

Icom
R-8500 and the Yaeseu VR-5000 (but the reviews I've read indicate this

thing
stinks up the joint somewhat). I was also thinking about a JRC NRD-545

with
a VHF/UHF converter, but that would probably be expensive overkill.

All comments/suggestions/wisdom welcome.

Thanks!

Most scanners have awful front ends, with relatively poor image
rejection and overload/intermodulation protection. That is kind of
what distinguishes the real receivers from the scanners. If memory
serves the R8500 isn't a great SW receiver (although it isn't bad),
but it does have pretty good image, overload, and IM protection
because it has a real front end (12 different band pass filters IIRC).
With the Highstability (it is a crsytal oven), there are rocks that
are less solid....